Chapter 13

Disclaimer: No copyright infringement intended. All rights reserved. Bex, the story line and secondary characters are mine. One Direction is not...Harry is not. Sadly. I'm devastated.

This one might require a hankie or two...




Stole My Heart

Chapter 13

Being angry takes so much effort. The thing about anger is that it eats you up inside. There’s so much more you could be doing with your time. I can’t shake it though. The idea of him, or anyone else, deciding how things are to be handled just brings back the past. He used to do that.

Taking a deep breath, I remind myself I’ve taken a leap of faith. I’m going to forget about what happened before. If this thing with Harry is going to work, he’s going to need to trust me. The fact that he may have decided Dale was going to accompany me after our talk is what angers me.

Don’t tell me you’re going to try and trust my judgement and then assign a bodyguard to me.

Dale and the driver exchange glances every time my phone chirps with another text from Harry.

Ignoring it, I focus on the road ahead. He’s persistent, that’s for sure.

The driver pulls the car up to the building as I place the cell phone in my hand on silent mode. I need to think solely about Lareto.

“Will you be joining me inside as well, Dale?” I ask rather snottily. He raises an eyebrow and shakes his head no.

“Very well. Tell Mr. Styles I’ll see him at the hotel.”

As he opens his mouth to reply back, I slip out of the car and shut the door. I can see him shaking his head as the driver pulls away. I take a deep breath and gather myself. Lareto doesn’t need to see me upset, by Harry no less.

I hear a car door shut in the distance. When I look up, Dale is perched on the front bumper of the suv, arms crossed. He nods his head at me once. I shake my head and roll my eyes at him before entering the building.

It’s busier than my first visit with Harry. School isn’t in session so the room is packed with kids. I recognize a few of the teens from the concert. They wave once they see me. Scanning the room for Suzelle or Lareto, I wave to a few of the girls I sat with last time. A few adults mill about the room taking no notice of me at first.

A short, stubby man does a double take before walking over to me.

“Are you Ms. Oliver?”

“Yes, Hello. I’m looking for Suzelle,” I smile shaking his hand.

“I’m Nat. Suzelle told me to expect you. Would you mind following me, please? There’s something we need to discuss,” he sounds way too serious.

“Alright.”

We walk through the maze of tables. He pats a few kids on the back, smiling at a few smaller ones.  Reaching a set of doors, he whispers quietly to a young woman. He smiles at me as he pulls on one of the doors.

The corridor is quiet, save a telephone ringing from a nearby office.

“Right this way, we’ll talk in Suzelle’s office.” I follow him a little further down the hall.  He opens the last door and motions for me to enter.  The room is bright, filled with children’s drawings and small sculptures.  There’s a desk, computer and a few chairs, but that’s it for office related items. It’s clear that she would much rather surround herself with the kids than paperwork and staplers.

“Please have a seat. Can I get you anything to drink? Water? Tea?”

“No, thank you. I’m good.” I smile as I sit in one of the chairs. “Is everything alright? I expected to see Suzelle this afternoon.”

He sighs and leans on the edge of the desk, “Unfortunately, Suzelle was called away.”

“Oh, well... that’s alright. I’m sure we’ll be able to catch up in the next week or so. She set up a meeting for me with one of your participants...Lareto?”

He nods his head a few times while he looks at his hands.

“Is Lareto ok?” I suddenly have an awful pit in my stomach.

“We received a call this morning that Lareto and her brother wouldn’t be here for at least a few weeks. Family Services has removed Lareto from the family home,” he says without looking me in the eyes.

“What aren’t you telling me?” I say abruptly as I stand.

He finally looks at me, “Unfortunately, I cannot give you any further information.” The look on his face speaks volumes. Legally, he may not be able to tell me anything else, but his face is pained.  Something has happened to the little girl.

My stomach is in knots and my heart is torn in two. I have to get out of this office.

I need...

I need him.
This realization rattles me. Wasting no time, I leave the small room without saying goodbye. I quickly pass through the doors and into the communal art room, pulling out my phone.

“Are you alright, Miss Rebekah?”  A young man I recognize from the concert asks behind me.

“Um...yes, I’m fine.”

“Then why are you crying?”

I reach up and touch my cheek. It’s more than just a stray tear.

“I promise. I’m alright. I’ll be back in a few minutes,” I say trying to smile.

As soon as I’m outside, I switch the phone off silent mode. It rings immediately in my hand.  I know who it is, without even looking at it. I touch the screen to answer and put the phone to my ear.

“Rebekah...thank god you finally answered. I’m...”

“H...” I whimper.

“Tog? What’s wrong? You sound like you’re crying.”

“Lareto...” is all I manage to get out.

“I’m on my way. Stay right there,” he says, before the call disconnects.  I slip down the side of the building, not caring about the dirty sidewalk.

“Miss?”

The driver is standing above me; an old-fashioned, white handkerchief extended out to me.

“Thank you.” I wipe the tears and try to catch my breath. I still don’t know if my small friend is alright, but my gut tells me she isn’t. “Is Dale still here?”

“Yes, Miss. He’s making a few phone calls in the car,” he says quietly. “The other driver has contacted me. The young gentleman will be here shortly. Is there anything I can get for you?”

Lifting myself off the ground, I shake my head, “No. I need to try and compose myself. I promised I would go back in.”  I wipe my face again.  

“Please keep the ‘kerchief if you need it. I’ll let Dale know you’re going back in.”

I take a few more deep breaths, “Can you please take this for me?” I hold out my camera bag.

“Of course, I’ll give it to the gentleman,” he says as he opens the door for me.

When I walk back in, no one looks up. They all continue laughing, working on their projects. I stand close to the outside wall of the room and just watch them all interacting together.  

Do any of them realize that Lareto isn’t there? Do they even care?

I feel anger start to return. Not at Harry. At the children in the room, messing around with their friends. I turn to leave, but the young man from before is standing next to me.

“I don’t think any of them realize anything is wrong,” he comments quietly.

“I’m sorry?”

“Little L and Bud...I think the group thinks they are just doing something with their mother for once,” he says nodding to the kids.

“Do you know them well?”

“Yeah, Bud comes over to my house when he has a fight with his mom. He talks things through with my parents and then goes home.  He didn’t last night, though...”

The news that Lareto’s brother isn’t out causing trouble in the streets after an argument with his mother makes me feel better. Despite his age, he clearly has his little sister’s best interests at heart.

“Do you know what happened?” I ask softly.  He nods as he looks around the room cautiously. “Can you tell me?”

“Can we go outside? I wasn’t supposed to hear the conversation...”

“Okay,” I say pulling the door open. Tires stopping quickly on asphalt startle us both.  The back door of the black, luxury sedan flies open.

“Heeeyyy...it's you,” the young man says excitedly.

“Hello,” Harry says without looking at the boy. “Can we have a moment or two?”

“Uh, okay...” the kid sounds a bit hurt.

“What was your name again?” I ask, touching his arm gently.

“Kuben.”

“Kuben, see that man over there?” I point to Dale. “Can you go over and tell him where we can find Bud and Lareto?”

“Yeah yeah...alright,” he nods before crossing the street.

“That was rude,” I scold the man-bunned, Saint Laurent boot wearing man in front of me. “He knows what happened.”

“I'll apologize. My first concern is you,” he growls as pulls me into his arms.

“Harry...there could be people watching us.” I pull away, but can’t look at him. “Suzelle isn't here and the man I spoke to won't tell me anything other than Lareto was removed from their apartment.”

His boots are the only thing in my eyesight. I can tell when he turns toward Dale and the young man. He shuffles a bit away from me, then slightly back.

“Honestly...I don’t give a shit if the kid sees us,” his voice is harsh.

“I’m sure your publicist does.” I’m just as harsh.

He sighs and turns away, “I spoke to Suzelle. The brother is in a juvenile facility. The mother has been arrested.” His body language closes off. One arm crossed over his chest; one hand playing with his bottom lip.

“I need to see Lareto...”

“Is that why you finally took my call? To get you to Lareto?!?” He yells at me.

This is Angry Harry. His voice scares me; it’s raspier and much louder.  His usually beautiful, moss green eyes are almost an evergreen color; staring at me with disdain.

“No,” I whisper.

“Then why did you answer, Rebekah?!?!”

Anger and hurt bubble up inside of me. I wipe away the tears, “Because I fucking needed YOU!”  

I can hear his boots on the pavement as he chases after me.  His hand grips my arm, turning me back to face him in the middle of the street. A car horn blares past us. Not caring who can see us, he takes my face in his hands and kisses me.  His t-shirt ends up balled between my fists.  

All the hurt and anger subsides as the kiss continues. Despite being angry with me, his lips are gentle. He places a soft peck on my lips before pulling away.

“I’m sorry,” he says as his body wraps around me. I bury my face in his neck and nod.   

“H...we need to get you two out of the middle of the street,” Dale says as he places his hand on my back.  I slip myself under Harry’s arm and let the two guide me to the car.  Kuben is still there, staring at the two of us.

I reach my hand out and touch the teen’s hand, “I need you to not say anything about what you’ve just seen, okay?  This isn’t public knowledge.”

“Hey...it’s none of my business who you are kissing,” he smirks. He points in the direction of the building, “But...you might want to go back in there and make sure they haven’t posted it all over Twitter already.”

There’s a large group of kids in the front window. Several have their phones pressed against the glass.

“Fooking hell,” Harry sighs. “Just get in the car, alright?”

I do as he asks, knowing that the press and fans will have a field day.  Kuben joins me in the backseat as Dale and Harry enter the building.

“So...you and Harry Styles,” he laughs.

“Like I said, it’s not for public consumption at this point,” I answer.  I  keep my eyes on the door to the building, waiting for Harry to come out.

“I kinda thought something might have been going on with you two at the concert. You seemed way more familiar with each other than just pop star and photographer.”

The idea that a teenage boy could speculate that Harry and I were together is a bit frightening. Usually boys his age are oblivious to most things that don’t concern them. They’re all video games, horsing around with their friends and trying to not get caught causing trouble. Were we that transparent?

“I promise you... I won’t be posting anything on social media. I see what his female fans do to anyone he’s seen with. It’s kinda scary,” he adds.

“Thank you. I’m sure he’ll appreciate that.”

“So...I told Dale what I knew,” he sighs heavily.

“You said you weren’t supposed to hear the conversation...was it here?”

“Uh...no. Bud called my parents to help get him out this morning. My mom thought I was still in bed. They were going to try and find a lawyer who could help for free. We don’t have a lot of money, but I’ve been friends with Bud since I was little.”

As I’m about to ask him what happened, Harry and Dale exit the building laughing. I can’t help but watch him strut across the street.

“You’ve got it baaad...”

“What?”

“You can’t take your eyes off of him. I hope he feels the same way or I might have to hurt him,” Kuben says as he watches them approach the car.

“Is that right?” I smile at him.  He fidgets with the phone in his hand and blushes.

“I’m just sayin’...there might be other options.”

“I’m a bit old for you, Kuben, but I’m flattered,” I reach over and squeeze his hand. “Hell...I’m a bit too old for him.”

The door opens before the boy can respond.

“Kuben, is it?” Harry pokes his head into the car. “I’d like to apologize for my rude behavior earlier.” He offers the young man his hand.  

Kuben shakes it as he turns to look at me, “No problem.”  He moves to get out of the car causing Harry to step back.  “Can I say one thing, bruh?”  Harry nods while shoving his hands in the pockets of his jeans.  “If I see anything about you hurting her on Twitter,” he motions toward me. “I will find out where you are.”

Harry’s eyes grow big as he looks between the two of us. He smirks at the teenager, “Do you follow me?”

“As a matter of fact, I do,” Kuben smiles.

Harry pulls out his phone, “What’s your at?”

In turn, the teen fiddles with his own phone. He gives him his Twitter account and laughs.  I can only guess that Harry has now followed him.  

“If you see anything, just send me a message and I’ll tell you where I’m at,” Harry shoves his phone back into his back pocket. “Deal?”

“Deal.”

The two shake hands before the teen shoots across traffic and back into the building.

“Apparently you like ‘em young,” Harry chuckles as he settles in the seat. Dale gives a hearty laugh himself.

“Don’t start!” I say elbowing him.  “Everything okay in there?”

“Yep. Signed a few autographs, took a few pictures...we’re right as rain,” he answers as he wraps his arm around my shoulders. “We’re going to go find Lareto.”

                                                 ~</3~

A half an hour later, we’re pulling into the entrance of the Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital.  The pit in my stomach grows bigger as the driver pulls up to the front of the building.

“Harry?”

“Yeah?” He answers while typing out something on his phone.

“I’m scared.”

“It’s alright, Love,” he says placing a kiss to my temple. “Suzelle is here.”

I don’t find any comfort in that statement. Dale tells us to wait in the car a moment while he goes inside the massive white structure. I can see the Table Mountains in the distance. We’re not that far from the hotel.

After a few moments, Dale returns and opens my door.  When Harry and I exit the car, he takes position on Dale’s right. The bodyguard guides me ahead of them so it does not appear there is anything going on between the two of us. Disappointment is added to my ever growing list of emotions.

“Tog...it’s just a precaution,” Harry says behind me.

“I know.”

Once we reach the elevators, Dale takes charge.  He directs us casually, as if he’s been here a million times.  

When we step off on the fifth floor, I see Suzelle standing outside one of the rooms.

“Suzelle?” I call as we approach her.

“Oh my god...I didn’t think Mr. Styles would actually bring you,” she says tearfully as she hugs me.

“Of course I would.” He says quietly.  

“What happened?” I pull away just a little to look at her.

“I knew the situation wasn’t the best in the home, but it’s much worse than I anticipated,” she shakes her head. “Luckily Bud was there. Come. She’ll be happy to see you,” she pushes the door open.

We follow her in and all I can hear is the rapid beep from the heart monitor in the room.

“Oh god,” I cry turning back toward the door.  Harry intercepts me and pulls me close.

“Bex?” A little voice says quietly.  “Hawwy?!?!”

Harry pushes the two of us toward the bed, “Hello, little Love.”

“Why you here?”

“Well...we heard that you weren’t feeling very well, so we decided to come visit. How are you?”

“I otay. I gots a hurt arm,” Lareto says with a cute sigh.  

I turn from Harry’s embrace to see her sitting up on the bed in a pair of One Direction pajamas. I can’t help giggle at the sight.  The face on the front is the man next to me, but a whole lot younger.

“Ha! I remember when you looked like that,” I tease as I squeeze him into my side.

“Oh gawd! We’ll need to get you some new pjs.”

“But...I wuv dees jammies!” Lareto frowns.

“I like them too,” I laugh as I approach the bed.

“Not fair,” Harry whines next to me.

“You tame to see me,” Lareto smiles at me.

“I did. I was hoping to go to the park, though,” I wrap my hand around her small one.

“Miss Sue said we was gonna have wunch.”

“Yes, that too.  I’ll come back and we’ll go to McDonalds.”

A nurse comes in a moment later and asks that we leave the room. She needs to tend to Lareto, but we can return when she is finished.  

“So what happened?” Harry asks once we are seated in a small waiting room. Dale stands outside the closed door.

“Apparently since the father has left the home, Lareto’s mom has been doing anything she can to keep them in the apartment,” the blonde sighs.

“What do you mean anything?” I shudder, hoping that my intuition is wrong.

“She’s been prostituting herself.”

“Jesus Christ,” Harry stands and walks toward one of the windows.

“Bud was home with Lareto last night. The mom came home, but she didn’t realize she was followed. The man broke in and terrorized the hell out of them. Bud ended up fighting him and Lareto got in the way. She has a broken arm. She was knocked into a table and hit her head off of it. They want to keep her for observation. Once she’s cleared to leave, I don’t know where she’ll be though,” Suzelle sniffles.

“The mother was arrested?” Harry asks from across the room.

“Yes, for child endangerment.  They cannot charge her with prostitution as they can’t prove that is what she is doing. Bud is still in the juvenile center. It’s unlikely they are going to charge him with anything at this point. He was defending his family.  The intruder has been arrested, but he’s got some injuries of his own.”

“Where will Bud go when he is released?” I ask, hoping he’ll be able to go to Kuben’s.

“One of our other participant families has petitioned to let him stay with them,” Suzelle smiles sadly. “But I don’t know about Lareto.”

The thought of the two siblings being separated hurts. I look at Harry and back to Suzelle. Just as I open my mouth, Harry shakes his head at me.

“Rebekah...”

I sigh heavily, “I know.”

The woman next to me reaches for my hand, “They wouldn’t release her to you. You don’t live here. They will try their best to keep the child close to her brother.”

“How do you know that?”

“Social Services has had contact with the family before. They are aware of the family’s situation,” she tries to sound comforting.

“What about the legal fees? Lareto’s care? Who’s taking care of that?” Harry sits back down beside me, immediately taking my hand.

“I don’t know...”

“I’d like to help.”

“Mr. Styles...that is very generous of you, but...”

“Please, call me Harry. I’ll have my assistant wire any funds needed. Just get me the information.” He is adamant.

“Thank you. I’m sure the family will be appreciative,” Suzelle says quietly.

We spend the next hour or so with Lareto. Harry plays games with her, sings silly songs and takes a bunch of selfies with my phone. He tells me if his gets hacked, how will he explain who the little girl is? They’re ‘safer’ on my phone. I don’t buy it one bit. I think he’s trying to give me something happy from the day.

Suzelle and I exchange cell numbers, promising me she’ll keep me updated on Lareto. After some hugs and copious amounts of tears, we leave the little girl.

Harry’s cell rings numerous times on our short drive back to the hotel. He dismisses a few of the calls, taking one from his mother and one from Cal.

When we enter the suite, I’m prepared to pack up and get out of Cape Town. I’ll miss Lareto, but not this day. I check my room to make sure nothing will be left behind.

“Tog?” Harry calls from somewhere in the luxury suite.

“Yeah?”

“Slight change of plans...”

Confused by his comment, I go search for him. He’s not in the kitchen or the living area.

“Harry? Where are you?”

“Pool...”

“Pool? What pool?” I have been in this hotel for days now and I have never seen a pool in this suite.  I step out onto his balcony and sure enough, he’s in water. On the balcony.  It appears a portion of the floor covers a decent size private pool.

“Hi...” he smiles up at me. The tats, and nipples, are on full display.

“Hi yourself. I had no idea there was a pool up here.”

“Me either,” he shrugs. “I was playing around with some buttons and the floor opened. Thought to myself, ‘why not?’. Do you have a suit?”

“I do,” I say bending down on the side of the pool. “I thought we were leaving though?”

“Right...change of plans. They guys are still stuck on the runway. Cal and Ben think it would  be a good idea to leave tomorrow to be on the safe side. Is that okay?” He turns toward me and leans on the edge.

“Well, considering my lovely ‘Uncle’,” I say with quotation marks and everything. “Cancelled my prior ticket...”

“So...you’ll just have to put up with me for one more night,” he flirts.

“I don’t think I can do that,” I tease.

He reaches for me with one wet hand, but I’m quicker. He slips back into the water with a frown.

“I think I’ll call for some food. Any requests?”

“Can we get some more of that vanilla cheesecake?” He wiggles his eyebrows at me.

The idea of tasting vanilla and pear on his lips again causes butterflies in my stomach.

“Maybe some of that pear date stuff...” I mumble.

He chuckles and shoots across the pool on his back.

“Seriously though, we need to eat something other than dessert...”

“I’m not very picky. You choose. I’ll eat...anything.” He winks.

I roll my eyes at him, “You’re a very naughty boy.”

“Well, you got the innuendo. What does that say about you?”

“I’ve been spending too much time with you,” I call over my shoulder as I head back inside. I hear him yell “Hey!”

~</3~

Deciding the day was pure shit, I ordered both of us the biggest burgers I could find. I may have also placed an order for the late delivery of two very lovely desserts.

“Woman...I’m gonna need a nap after that burger,” he rubs his belly, leaning back on his chair.

The night is cool, but not enough to make us eat inside. I watch as people mill about below. There’s a father walking with his child; arms swinging back and forth as they laugh at something. I glance over at my dinner companion and wonder what he’ll be like as a dad.

I think he’ll be loving and playful, for sure. But will he be strict? Will he be one of those hippy-type parents; wanting to be their best friend? Would he steer them away from the entertainment world if they want to sing or act?  I wonder the most though...who will the lucky woman to carry his child be?

Forcing those thoughts from my head, I gather up the plates.

His warm hand brushes against my forearm, “Hey...are you okay?”

“I’m just tired. It’s been...an emotionally exhausting day,” I smile weakly at him. “I think I’ll put these in the kitchen and run a bath.”

“Alright,” he nods. “I’m going to check in with Sam about the flight. Just to make sure we’re clear for tomorrow.”

“I’ll be back in a bit.”

I rinse the insane amount of condiments we both use from the plates. The butler will clear them when the desserts are delivered later. Out of habit, I walk into my room. I’m confused for a moment and then remember all of my things had been moved. Harry looks at me from the balcony as I pass by.

“Just making sure I hadn’t left anything,” I wave with a smile.

His scent is everywhere when I pass through the doorway of the room. Faint Tom Ford, the citrus shampoo and his natural, crisp smell.

Wondering just what he uses, I nose around the bathroom. Unfortunately, there’s no body wash or anything. Just the hotel soap and a bottle of shampoo. I glance at his bag in the bedroom, but decide I don’t want to be that person. He deserves as much privacy as anyone else.

I turn the tap on in the large oval free-standing tub, pouring in a bit of the hotel bubble bath.  I strip out of my clothes once the water is at a suitable level. The bubbles envelope me when I sink in. Grabbing one of the small towels next to the tub, I fold it and place it behind my head.  The view is amazing from the large window.

The child and father brings Lareto back into my thoughts. If only the little one had her father to spend time with like that? If he hadn’t left, last night would never have happened. Lareto would be safe in her own bed. Maybe the two children wouldn’t be participating in the project? I think about my own family. My dad...the ever present force in my life. I probably wouldn’t be here, at this moment, if he hadn’t been a documentarian. My mom, the caretaker, literally. She’d work at the hospital, come home and give just as much to us as she did her patients. My younger brother, the goofball, who decided he’d rather go into medicine than follow in my dad’s footsteps.

An immense wave of sadness floods in; the realization that I hadn’t seen any of them in at least six months makes me cry. The idea that Lareto and her brother might not be placed together makes me sob. That and the prospect of being taken entirely from the only parent they have left is troubling.

I sit up and wrap my arms around my bent knees. The tears come freely. What I don’t realize is just how loud I’m sobbing.

“Shhh...” his deep tone calls as the warm, expensive cotton glides down my back. He continues to wipe my back, shoulders and arms, whispering calming words in my ear.

After a few moments, I feel the water behind me ripple as he rings out the material. The room is quiet, other than my now quieter sobbing.  

The water sloshes a bit against the tub. Two long legs appear on either side of mine, forced against the porcelain. Two tattooed arms join mine, wrapping around my legs. The feel of his chest against my back is comforting.

“I’m sorry...I’m such a mess,” I whisper.

He removes both sets of arms from my legs. He turns me gently as he lays against the back of the tub.  I lose it when he pulls my naked body against his and holds me in the now lukewarm water.

“Shhh...I’ve got you, Love. I’ve got you,” he says before laying his head on mine.



Author note: *peeks from behind couch* Hi...is everyone alright?
Do we need an H hug?  #sorry. ~ Lady H. xx




Comments

  1. Well you've gone and done it again! You pluck me from my every day life and gracefully place me into your story before I even realize what's happening. I find myself smiling without realizing, tears falling freely and my body tensing with anticipation. I want Bex to be strong and independent but even more than that I need her to need H too. I can absolutely see H struggling to balance btwn protector and trust. I am so deep into this that I don't even see Bex anymore as I see everything through her eyes. I am forever grateful to you R for taking the time out of your own life to create something that allows us to escape our life and enter this amazing dream #HEX :)
    Today I smiled, today I shed a tear and today I felt the warmth of love without the need for smut! Thank you for the emotional rollercoaster! It's an amazing ride!
    All the Love, Your Most Endearing Fan xoxo @elapham71

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts